Level 3 Access to Nursing
DURATION 1 Year
WHAT WILL I STUDY
- English and Academic Skills
- Biology and Health Studies
SPECIFIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- You do not need any formal qualifications. However, we will assess your written English and Maths to see if your skills are strong enough to take this course. To demonstrate your competency in Maths and English, all applicants will be asked to complete the college’s initial assessment.
- The assessment will cover comprehension in English, basic Maths including fractions, percentages, ratio and simple drug calculations and you will also be asked to write a short piece of comprehension. If you successful meet the required pass rate of working at level 2 or above in Maths and English we will invite you to an interview.
- The interview will explore your interest and aptitude for this course and area of work. We will take into account how much experience of health or social care work you have. This could be paid or voluntary work.
WHAT COULD I DO NEXT?
- You will be able to apply to do a degree programme at university in Nursing (all branches), Midwifery, Paramedic Science, Public Health, or Operating Department Practice
- Level Higher Certificate in Health and Social Care
- Employment in the Health and Social Care Sector
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Access to Nursing and Midwifery course is a one year intensive course for mature students (19+). It is designed to prepare you for study on a health related degree programme like Adult Nursing or Midwifery.
What is the aim of this qualification?
It is designed for adult learners who wish to study at university to become health professionals, but do not have sufficient qualifications from when they were at school. This diploma is primarily designed for those wishing to study nursing or midwifery at university, but can also provide the necessary qualifications to study occupational therapy or health promotion. To study other health professions you may need an Access Diploma in Science.
You will need to gain 45 credits at level 3 and 15 at level 2 to pass the Diploma. Each module has many units of study and they are all created to give you relevant and sound academic knowledge to facilitate your learning at university.
Just as importantly, the units are also designed to improve your analytical skills, to hone your research skills and to develop your organisational skills. You will be assessed in a variety of ways depending on the assignment brief.
Your progress on the course will also be assessed in terms of your attendance, punctuality and your ability to hand in your work on time. Feedback on this will be given to you by your course tutor.