Advice and tips on staying safe on social media
Lots of people love using Facebook, Twitter and chat rooms. There is nothing wrong with chatting to your friends in this way. However, it’s really important that you keep yourself safe, so we asked our students to give us their safeguarding tips.
Here's what they said...
- If ever meeting up with somebody who is not known to you or your friends make sure that you meet them in a group of at least 2 to 3 and in a public, well lit and populated area.
- Inform somebody of where you are going and what time you should be back, also the name of who you are meeting.
- Don’t accept anyone as a friend on social networking sites that you don’t know.
- Remember never to trust anyone that you have only met online, you don’t know what they are capable of doing.
- Never tell a stranger on network sites or chat rooms anything personal about yourself, e.g. Where you live, date of birth etc.
- Never meet anyone you don’t know, simple as! stay Safe!
- Look carefully at any messages that you are sent. If they make you feel uncomfortable or you are not sure what they are saying, report to a Safeguarding Officer .